Lil Sparrow wrote:
Keith N. McKenna wrote:

Someone gave you incredibly wrong information there. In fact it is
completely the reverse. Post Office Protocol 3 (pop3) downloads new
mails from the server to your e-mail client then deletes them from the
server unless you specifically configure your e-mail client not to
delete after download.

Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) Stores all messages on the
server. With many e-mail clients, including SeaMonkey, you can configure
the mail client to store the messages locally as well.

That is what I would expect to happen if the old machine was also using
pop3 as they would be deleted as soon as they were downloaded. If you
can get to the profile folder of the old machine you *MAY* be able to
retrieve the old saved messages.

My email client was configured so that no emails were deleted off the server.

Standard for POP

 I've tried to do a back up again from the old machine but when I try to restore it, a message comes up saying the file is corrupted.

File? The whole backup or just the Inbox from the mail account? You are woefully giving incomplete information. Does the old machine run at all? Maybe you can rescue data as detailed in my other post. Many prematurely arrive at the conclusion that "ALL IS LOST" when that is not necessarily the case. I have even rescued emails from failing drives since SeaMonkey mailbox folders are in mbox format and are just messages concatenated into one big text file. You can often rescue some messages from a damaged file.

The mails are permanently lost. I have now lost years of research.

Did you not have a backup regime? Sorry but too often folks think about back up only after failure.

--
Take care,

Jonathan