Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
Mozilla User wrote:
First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to track my packages
through USPS using SeaMonkey.

When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated browsers. To continue
access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read more ›

Add a new UA string.
My SM works just fine.  YouTube works, YahooMail works.
More than likely my SM will continue to work with USPS.
I sent a package last week and have been tracking it.
I don't get the message that you get.

I checked the offered link, which leads to https://www.usps.com/browser-check/. On that, the oldest Mozilla browser listed is 58.0.1 -- not even 57.0. Thus, it means that Firefox 52 ESR isn't going to be supported, either.

A couple of considerations on spoofing:

- If you spoof the browser, it also changes the User Agent heading in the email. I use the Display Mail User Agent extension, and Paul, your posting shows that it was done with Firefox, rather than a mail client.

- The standard UA string for Seamonkey 2.49.2 is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2

I suspect that if you change this string to show "Firefox/59.0", that's probably enough to make the warning go away. It's likely that the sniffing is only looking for the specific Firefox version, and ignoring the rest of the string, including that you're actually running Seamonkey.

For spoofing, it's certainly possible to change the settings in prefs.js or user.js, although I'm not sure what the effect would be if you prefs.js, and then upgrade to a later version of Seamonkey. It's likely that you may have to edit, to reflect the newer version.

For spoofing (and I do it a lot, for a number of reasons), my preference is to use an extension. User Agent Switcher and PrefBar are both quite workable. Personally, I find PrefBar a little easier to use, and I also like some of the additional capacities that PrefBar gives me.

To me, the key thing about using an extension is that it allows me to change user agents on the fly, and then switch back to the standard one when the need has passed. Besides the noted effect on user agent handling in the mail client, I sometimes may spoof more than one agent at a particular site -- I have an archive of downloaded software that I use for tech support, and some sites are aggressive about doing browser sniffing for what platform you're running, and then offering *only* the download that matches what they find. Thus, running from Windows, if I want Mac or Linux versions, I have to spoof the UA. UA spoofing is also good for testing my web site, particularly in verifying that the site is correctly rejecting bot traffic that displays UAs from browsers that were never valid -- on my site, I see a lot of traffic purporting to be from "Firefox 40.1".

Smith