David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/17/2020 11:24 AM, EE wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/17/2020 7:07 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
flyguy wrote:
Windows 10, SM 2.49.4

Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front
page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the
email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory
usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it without
closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email, but often
I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to close the
browser, too.

I have a similar problem with SeaMonkey memory usage growing over time.
   My solution was to add a "restart application" button that I use
whenever it starts getting sluggish.  This closes and restarts SeaMonkey
without losing anything other than the time it takes to restart.

Dave

Does the Restart Application button do a full restart?  That is, does it
reload user.js to restore preferences that might have been changed
during the session?  If so, how can I get the Restart Application button?

Chromedit Plus provides a stand-alone restart button.  Restart does redo
the preference settings from user.js.

Aha!  That is exactly what I have been seeking.  Some Web sites that I
visit require that I change my preferences from what I usually have.  I
use PrefBar for that.  Sometimes the changes are so extensive, however,
that it is easier to terminate SeaMonkey and then relaunch it.  If I was
in a profile that is not my default, that also means switching back to
the profile I was using.

If this restarts me back in my non-default profile, the Restart
Application button will be great.

Chromedit Plus and its restart does not switch profiles. It puts the changes you made with it (to user.js, userContent.css, and userChrome.css) into effect.