On Thursday 06 November 2003 01:39 am, Kyle Weigel wrote:
| I run a server, and I donate space to freenet and all that fun stuff,
| but I was wondering if I could post something on  MY donated space.. and
| I know it's there, but give the link to people just like I would link to
| anything else on Freenet.  I know one of the points is that no one knows
| where data is, but I want to be able to have people download/view from
| my server without them knowing where my server resides.

What is the advantage to that?  Does it just give you warm fuzzies to know
that they are getting "your" data from "your" server or are you trying to
avoid the time involved in "inserting" data in the usual way?

As suggested by somebody else, if it's the the latter, then using Frost to
make it available might be your best bet, but of course only Frost users can
find it then, so it's not open the entirety of freenet.

Before even the Frost users can get it, though, Frost has to insert it in the
usual way, so the users still won't be pulling the bits directly off your
node, and it's entirely possible that none of it will actually be in *your*
freenet store.  (Frost will insert it into freenet directly from your
"regular" file location, not from the freenet store.)