Thanks for the response folks!

I _am_ running gentoo, and i was using /etc/init.d/freenet to start my node.  That
means that freenet was running with a mem max of 256MB.  However, The amount of memory
used was MUCH higher than that.  When I shut my node down, top would tell me that
between swap and ram I would free up about 500 megs of ram after freenet ran for a day
or so.    I wasn't looking at individual virt or ecc values.

I changed the java mem limit in /etc/init.d/ to 192, unfortunately, I haven't been
around to run my node, so I can't report any performance differences.