>On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:15:13PM -0700, Steve wrote:
>> Thanks for the response folks!
>>
>> I _am_ running gentoo, and i was using /etc/init.d/freenet to start my node.  That
>> means that freenet was running with a mem max of >256MB.  However, The amount of
>> memory used was MUCH higher than that.  When I shut my node down, top would tell me
>> that between >swap and ram I would free up about 500 megs of ram after freenet ran
>> for a day or so.    I wasn't looking at individual virt or ecc values.
>
>You must have been looking at one of them! WHICH ONE?! What did Freenet
>claim it was using on the Environment page? 500MB is neither unusual nor
>a problem if it's VIRT, because of the wierd way memory is counted.
>Also, if it is using a lot more real RAM than expected, it's probably
>the JVM's fault.
>>
>> I changed the java mem limit in /etc/init.d/ to 192, unfortunately, I haven't been
>> around to run my node, so I can't report any performance >differences.
>--
>Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Freenet Project Official Codemonkey - http://freenetproject.org/
>ICTHUS - Nothing is impossible. Our Boss says so.

Honestly, the fields that I watched did not say virt or ecc. I was watching the total
memory display at the top of "top":

Mem:    385672k total,   379892k used,     5780k free,     6472k buffers
Swap:   687952k total,   109924k used,   578028k free,    88360k cached

I wasn't watching the normal virt or ecc values because freenet spawns tens of
processes and I know that memory is counted weird there.  So I just looked at total
memory use, at the top of the display, and watched it drop as I killed freenet.  It
may be a virtual machine problem, so I'll install another one later.  I'm currently
using blackdown-jdk 1.4.1