On Wednesday 22 September 2004 06:53 pm, Newsbyte wrote:
> "You did notice he's running XP, and that the problems with 1.4.2 occur
> with some installs of BSD and OSX."
>
> Which is what I said. And yet, people have come forth with problems with
> 1.4.2, even on windows. Probably not enough to indicate a firm
> correlation, let alone a causality, but seen that no similar problems as
> yet have occured with the 1.5.x, it's in any case a more sound advice to
> use that build.

You've missed the point completely. The error message was "Could not find
the main class." A java programmer knows this to be not an error with the
virtual machine, but more of a classpath issue (the VM cannot find the
class; it never actually *ran* anything).

Recommending that the user upgrade their VM is bad advice since that clearly
isn't the issue. It's not too much to ask those who wish to contribute by
answering support questions that they actually understand the nuances of
Java.

>And btw, it was with linux as well, in the past.

Only without the native BigInt libraries.. I experienced this very problem
on Linux and found the problem disappeared after installing the updated
freenet-ext. This is easier than upgrading the VM; but all of this is moot
since he's on XP.

>I can hardly see 'you will discover your own fault' as being more
>supportive, in any case.

I first told him to refer to Toad's response in the original other thread,
since the answer was there. I also don't recommend (although Toad might)
that users upgrade to 1.5 just yet since I've seen problems related to nio
and file locking, not to mention it's brand new and probably full of a new
batch of bugs.

--
Jay Oliveri
GnuPG ID: 0x5AA5DD54