On 20 Sep 2005, at 10:56, Matthew Toseland wrote:
On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 10:55:12AM +0100, Ian Clarke wrote:

On 19 Sep 2005, at 16:54, Matthew Toseland wrote:

It is IMHO strategically vital that we can test the network as a pure
darknet. We will need an opennet as well, because we need to have
something for people to download from freenetproject.org.

I see no reason for there to be a separate opennet and darknet.  We
have open nodes and dark nodes within a single network.

Having two separate networks will simply confuse our userbase and
reduce the utility of the network for everyone.

Which reduces "globally scalable darknet" to "clusters of dark nodes
hanging off the opennet".

Well, if that would truly be the topology then the alternative is "clusters of isolated dark nodes", which is worse?

The result of which is that it does not tell
us anything about the viability of the global darknet. And WHEN, not if,
the opennet is compromized, there is no global darknet. Just a few
disconnected nodes.

If you truly believe that dark nodes would be in small isolated pockets, then what makes you believe that a pure-darknet is viable at all without open nodes to glue it together?

Ian.