On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 6:40 AM, David R. <ellimi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just found Freenet, and it looks really great.  I've always considered
> freedom of speech pretty much the most important thing you can have, so I
> love what this is doing.  Anyway, I've had what seems to be a good idea -
> set up people at my school to use freenet.  I'm planning to bundle it with a
> few other apps (tor, firefox+privacy addons, utorrent, etc) and let people
> download it and put it on their flash drives, and run it whenever they get
> on a school computer.  As they did this, they'd connect to a mini-freenet
> (darknet of course), within the school.  The main problem I've got here is
> that freenet doesn't work over LAN, or at least I can't figure out how to
> make it do so.  I don't want one computer on freenet, and the others running
> a browser pointed to 192.168.1.X.  I want to set up a darknet composed of
> computers within the same LAN.
>
> If anyone knows how I could do this, or could suggest another way to do it
> (I tried WASTE, and couldnt get it going either) I would very much
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>     Ellimistd

The Freenet program has no idea if an IP address is a LAN or WAN address.
Because it can not know your exact network settings. The only thing it does
is sending packets to other IP addresses. Your users should always point
their browsers to 127.0.0.1, not external IP address, since fproxy binds to
loopback interface, not external interfaces, otherwise it would require
authentification to connect to the node. When you get 3-4 nodes up &
running, you can try to connect them by exchanging noderefs. to do all this
in pure darknet (without access to internet) just remove seednodes.fref file
in freenet's root directory. You may put it back when you decide to use
opennet. However, since you use LAN, you should probably not use opennet
connections, since it is WERY easy to find out that you run freenet when you
do so. Hope this helps.