On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Alex Pyattaev<alex.pyatt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 6:40 AM, David R. <ellimi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've just found Freenet, and it looks really great.  I've always
>> considered freedom of speech pretty much the most important thing you can
>> have, so I love what this is doing.  Anyway, I've had what seems to be a
>> good idea - set up people at my school to use freenet.  I'm planning to
>> bundle it with a few other apps (tor, firefox+privacy addons, utorrent, etc)
>> and let people download it and put it on their flash drives, and run it
>> whenever they get on a school computer.  As they did this, they'd connect to
>> a mini-freenet (darknet of course), within the school.  The main problem
>> I've got here is that freenet doesn't work over LAN, or at least I can't
>> figure out how to make it do so.  I don't want one computer on freenet, and
>> the others running a browser pointed to 192.168.1.X.  I want to set up a
>> darknet composed of computers within the same LAN.
>>
>> If anyone knows how I could do this, or could suggest another way to do
>> it  (I tried WASTE, and couldnt get it going either) I would very much
>> appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>     Ellimistd

> The Freenet program has no idea if an IP address is a LAN or WAN address.
> Because it can not know your exact network settings. The only thing it does
> is sending packets to other IP addresses. Your users should always point
> their browsers to 127.0.0.1, not external IP address, since fproxy binds to
> loopback interface, not external interfaces, otherwise it would require
> authentification to connect to the node. When you get 3-4 nodes up &
> running, you can try to connect them by exchanging noderefs. to do all this
> in pure darknet (without access to internet) just remove seednodes.fref file
> in freenet's root directory. You may put it back when you decide to use
> opennet. However, since you use LAN, you should probably not use opennet
> connections, since it is WERY easy to find out that you run freenet when you
> do so. Hope this helps.

No need to delete the seednodes file.  Just turn off opennet on the
config screen.

Running opennet on the LAN should work just fine, with no more
security issues than running opennet anywhere else.

I've run two nodes on the same LAN; it doesn't require any special
configuration.  I just turned on opennet on both, then exchanged
darknet refs, and they connected over the LAN and connected to the
outside world, and it all just worked.

Evan Daniel