I have been running pfSense off of CDROM with config on USB Flash Drive for at
least two years now without a hiccup. I previously ran Monowall on HDD, that
failed (the drive), then moved to CF, that failed... They all stayed up for a
year or two... but eventually hardware died. So I've been pretty happy with the
CDROM based solution. Easy to upgrade as well.

I would very much like to run this on HDD again, so that I have access to the
extra modules maybe some IDS of some sort. This is a firewall for my equipment
at a datacenter so all I get are constant attempts of intrusion and it would be
nice to adapt/avoid.

To be honest, I hate the idea of having to use a terminal to set it up, not
because I can't, just because I'd have to teach the other admins how to do it
in case of an emergency. It also probably means I'd have to get a second one
setup for failover. Not a big deal, but it's out of the "comfort zone".

I'm glad you mentioned your Asterisk implementation, since I posted almost the
exact same question on the Toronto Asterisk Users Group (TAUG) list with some
interesting responses so far. I'm in a similar situation with it as well... I
have a couple of Asterisk boxes (running Trixbox, again due to the other
admins). Are you using this in production or at home? I'm interested to find
out how many transcoded calls it can handle, call recording, etc... Which
Kit/MB did you end up using?

Regards,

Chuck