From: Vick Khera [mailto:vi...@khera.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:35 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Intel Atom Motherboards or Similar Systems

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Chuck Mariotti <cmario...@xunity.com> wrote:
> I have been looking at Jetway and Intel boards.

I had been running a NAS box using FreeNAS on a Jetway board with a
VIA cpu.  It worked great for about 14 months, then the ethernet went
bad.  And then shortly after that the other ethernet went bad.  My
colleague who built the twin box to mine had the same experience,
about 2 months later than I.

The warrantee on those boards was 12 months.  Read up on the interwebs
to see others discussing the reliability of the jetway boards.  Then
decide what to buy.

FWIW I replaced my jetway with a VIA board.  The good thing about the
VIA CPUs is you have the padlock crypto hardware built in, which
pfSense supports (since FreeBSD supports it.)

For my pfSense systems, I've been using WRAP boards (which are now
replaced by ALIX) with great success with the embedded pfSense distro.
 Having no moving parts is a great, great thing....  One of them is
pushing 700+ days uptime running about 7 IPsec tunnels (I really need
to schedule time to upgrade that to 1.2.x)