From: Dave Donovan [mailto:donovan.da...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 6:16 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Simple Firewall that needs to allow VPN access
to the network and a VLAN on the network.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Chuck Mariotti <cmario...@xunity.com> wrote:
> I have a firewall that needs replacing on short notice and I would like to
> use pfSense. The network is 192.168.1.x... (Servers, Printers, etc...) there
> is a VLAN on that same network (for their Nortel BCM / phones) that is
> 192.168.200.x.
>
> I recall way back that having a remote user on a network with 192.168.1.x
> series trying to VPN into another network with the same number scheme, would
> cause conflicts and problems (basically mixing up thinking they're on the
> same subnet). I haven't used the 192.168 series of IPs for that one reason
> for the past 10+ years (all the Linksys/Dlink/consumer stuff does by
> default). Is this still the case?

Chuck,

>From my experience, you're likely to have problems accessing that
192.168.1.x network.  When I moved to my current employer, I inherited
a network with that numbering scheme and it was a frequent problem,
especially with users at hotels and other hotspots which favoured that
number range.  (I know that's not exactly your application)  There are
just too many Linksys, D-Link and other such devices out there using
those numbers.  I the we were able to address the problem for some
users by adding a route to their windows box that aimed at a specific
machine (like the file server where their home drive lived).  If the
file server was 192.168.1.10, we would send them home with a batch
file that looked like:

REM Allow users with overlapping IP scheme to connect to fileserver at MyCompany
REM Add a route that tells the local PC to go over the VPN for the filserver
route add 192.168.1.10  mask 255.255.255.255 gateway [far end of VPN] metric 1

Then we could map a drive to a share on \\192.168.1.10.  That's just
from memory so I wouldn't bet my life on the syntax.  This is on an IP
by IP basis and if you want to access dozens of printers, servers and
other resources, it's going to be a problem nuisance and you increase
the risk of overlapping an IP that the home user is actually using on
their net.

We ended up renumbering our network into the 172.x.y.z scheme and it
solved those issues.  I'd still avoid 172.16 because lots of people
use it and if you ever want to interoperate, you might be running into
the same issues.  Off the top of my head I think values of 16-31 are
valid for the second octet.

Sorry, not guidance here on the VLAN issues.

Best Regards,
Dave