Alexoren wrote:

> No, you do not.  The forum software can be configured to send email
> notifications for responses to the threads you are following, as well as for
> new
> posts in the sub-forums that you are interested in, including the full text
> of the
> message.  So in effect you can treat them as a mailing list but with finer
> control,
> with the only "inconvenience" of having to click a link when you want to
> reply.

Not even that. Configuring replies over email is just a small technical detail.

"mail list" and "forum" are just two interfaces to the same thing: a collection
of discussions (threads) about a common theme (pidgin support).

Not very popular, but some , ugh... systems are doing exactly that. The content
can be accessed as a mail list or as a (web based) forum.

Also, in my experience, there is an order of magnitude more trolling on forums
than on mailing lists.

Regards,
David