On 30/05/2011 22:28, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 07:32:52PM +0100, dw wrote:

At low frequencies this
corresponds to the signals being (nearly) 180 out of phase at the
speakers until I give up on flogging the speakers to death and swap
to driving them in phase.
I understand. As frequency goes down more and more energy is
wasted driving the two speakers out of phase to deliver the
right signals at the ears. There has to be a limit to this.

But it's the 'swap to driving them in phase' that puzzels me.
Why no just keep the difference gain at some maximum value, or
even let it drop off as frequency goes down, instead of cross-
fading to driving the speakers in phase ?

Ciao,

There is a useful 6dB gain to be had over driving just one speaker, let alone driving two in antiphase. Quite useful to have even if you don't have 1" woofers like me! I've already had Ralph complaining that Choueiri filters play louder!