Well, don't get the idea that I do not like Blumlein.
My once(actually twice as it happened) in a lifetime
chance to record major orchestras with Kavi Alexander
in charge, we did use Blumlein.
And ORTF sounds a little colored as to timbre to me
(we have some recordings made with identical mike placements
but the two methods, though this is hardly a theoretical
test since the mikes themselves are of necessity different).

But I have always been told as "conventional wisdom" that ORTF
gets the time of arrival right in a way that Blumlein does not.
And I always regarded the choice as a tradeoff--absolutely spot
on timbre with Blumlein versus correct space with ORTF.
But maybe this is wrong!

If things work up to 6k, that would surely alter the viewpoint.

I await this with interest. I would also be interested to see
the calculations that would explain why ORTF comes out
a bit colored, at least to my ears.

Robert