On 05/29/2012 08:24 PM, Bearcat M. Şandor wrote:

This touches on something i've wondered for a while now. Discrete surround
always sounds as though it's in a fixed ring to me. Sounds are always the same
distance away. I've experianced that with binaural recordings as well.  Is there
a surround sound method that will reproduce actual depth enough so that you
could track the movment of a fly in a room? I'd love a system where i could hear
a fly moving towards my face, veering off a few inches away, moving at a
diagonal to 5' away then zig-zaging back and around my head.

Would the lack of a visual component effect that strongly? I can still locate a
fly without seeing it.

Can ambisonics do that with a good mic for the W?

doing it correctly requires very high orders, or a very dense wfs system. all first order ambisonics could do is take a lucky shot at psychoacoustics, and then it may work well for a few people, but certainly not for the majority of listeners.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net