> - Are identical speakers needed for each speaker of the array, or can I
> DIY
> it buy mixing and matching speakers from old hi/fi and found systems?

Don't think anyone would recommend it ... but one has to be
realistic.
There are some good classical recordings on ambisonia.com
A few of those played back, should give you an idea of how
bad (good) the system is.

(I have a movement from a symphony that rotates (pans)
round the room over several minutes. Gives some idea of
the whole (horizontal) system.)

Digital Room Correction (DRC) is good for room sized arrays.
There's a good paper and slide demo by Jörn Nettingsmeier (on
his site).
I wonder how well it would iron out blemishes of an
unmatched array ... ?   Seems an interesting possibility!

> - I was reading that the exact layout of an HOA is not so important,
> there's tolerance for different configs, unlike traditional 5.1 channel
> based systems which have specific locations that they should live in.. if
> so, what is the determining factor for accurate localization? If I rig up
> my studio with one config, will it translate to a much larger space by
> scaling up ? (assuming enough power in the loudspeakers?)

The whole point of ambisonics is that it is independent of the final
rig.

> - What are ways of writing original music for this format? I use Logic and
> Max... does this format need specific compatible syths/instrument with
> multiple out, or is the source irrelevant and it's all in the host
> routing?

Also have a look at Ambisonic Tool Kit and its lead author's
(Joseph Anderson's) work.

> - What's the easiest way of using my existing stereo samples/recordings to
> convert them for use and reproduction ? Is this even possible? If I
> convert, will I then have to manually 'map' movement across the field?
>
> So many questions! If anyone has time, would love to chat with you about
> all of this....  much appreciated.
>
> Sounds like a ripe opportunity to create a set of tutorials, podcasts,
> screencasts of how to get started (if there aren't already)

In many ways that ought to be better if done by a neophyte (no
danger of presuming knowledge that has not been covered, etc.,
etc.).
Am sure if you produced some drafts ("How I did it.")  you would get some
criticism ...

Good luck,

Michael