Hello Sampo,

On 28 Sep 2012, at 4:01 am, Sampo Syreeni wrote:

> On 2012-09-27, Joseph Anderson wrote:
>
>> Our goal is to have a complete system conveniently encompassing the tasks of
>> encoding, processing, and finally decoding for artists and composers
>> interested in working with Ambisonics. [...]
>
>> I see that you're working with Max/MSP at the moment. Our currently release
>> of the ATK is as a SuperCollider library.
>
> This sort of a thing makes it easy for the composer, which is just wicked
> cool. That makes people provide more content.

That's the idea! :-)

> But at the same time, it doesn't help the developer who wants to incorporate
> ambisonic into hir software. There, I'm pretty sure what would be needed
> would be an all-encompassing ANSI C conformant library.

Yes... we did think of this. One of our thoughts was to use FAUST so that we
could easily support a variety of platforms:

http://faust.grame.fr/index.php/documentation/references/12-documentation/reference/52-arch-files-reference-art

We ended for a variety of reasons (mostly manpower!!), we went straight for a
SuperCollider3 implementation.

FAUST has an online tool, which is useful to have a look:

http://faust.grame.fr/index.php/online-examples

> Does anybody around here have any ideas of how to produce something like
> that? Not as an alternative to the ATK, but as a parallel implementation
> aimed at the lower level implementers? Perhaps with some extra API's for low
> level use? Preferably even sharing code, where possible?
>
>> At the moment we haven't implemented HOA features, but there are plans to
>> begin with this aspect from January.
>
> There in particular I'd ask for help from various weird circuits, because
> arbitrary order of HOA calls for some pretty weird code. It's numerically
> funky even at fourth order, not to mention at the orders which approach a
> hundred, which is what the highest WFS folks seem to do nowadays with their
> simpler, linear arrays. I'm pretty sure the two frameworks could be folded
> into a single library, just as they theoretically fold into the same
> holophonic framework. So, does everybody work together for the common goal,
> here? :)

Sounds like a cool idea.

For the ATK's first outing into HOA we're going to start with up to 3rd order,
to keep life simple.

My best,
Jo

~~