i work in an ethnomusicology archives here in india, and we have about 5000
hours of pcm f1 recordings dating back to 1983 (when I even did digital field
recordings using the F1). we have two F1s and one 501. None have digital
outputs, but cricklewood electronics (?) produced a card which produced a sdif
signal out of the F1 that  we are using to convert our pcm recordings to wav
files without redigitising. umashankar