> Hi Eero,
> Al revers amigo. I dont know how it works with ambisonics and soundfield
> reconstruction but basically generally speaking your ears cant tell the
> difference if a speaker directly overhead is half a metre this way or the
> other - in effect your ears have lower resolution straight above so extra
> speakers are just wasted as you cant hear the difference anyway-
> conversley
> where your ears have good localisation you need more speakers as your ears
> are less easily fooled . This resulted in several speakers in the sonic
> lab
> at the sonic arts research centre being removed overhead as listening
> tests
> showed they were making little difference to the listener experience.
> Unless I was taught wrong - In which case Im all ears (pun not intended)
>
> On 11 July 2013 10:34, Eero Aro <eero....@dlc.fi> wrote:
>
>> I must confess that I don't know much about what you are discussing
>> about, but I think I read in one of the posts (that I already have
>> deleted)
>> that "there is no need to place a lot of speakers directly above, as our
>> localization is at it's worst in that direction".
>>
>> However, I have always thought that you need _more_ speakers (with
>> smaller angles) in those directions where the hearing localization of
>> phantom
>> images is not very good.
[ ... ]

Discounting the argument that nobody's localisation is good when they
realise that a 60Kg speaker is suspended over their head on a weak bracket
  .   .   .   I posit the following :

DWMM has a soundstage of, what ?
+/-  ( 45 > A > 135 )                    (degrees)
E : -5 to -15
E: +10 to +25

Better estimates and/or actual figures welcome .... ;-)>

But my point is that you need better rendering of elevation because the
(primary sources of) sound are so close together in elevation (E).
The sound stage (angle/azimuth (A)) is relatively broad.

So, logically, first order horizontal and third order vertical (I jest ...
!).

Michael