From: Sursound [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] on behalf of Fons Adriaensen
[f...@linuxaudio.org]
Sent: 27 February 2016 12:14
To: sursound@music.vt.edu
Subject: Re: [Sursound] expressing HRTFs in spherical harmonics

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 09:25:48PM +0000, Politis Archontis wrote:

> - Measure the HRIRs at Q directions around the listener
> - Take the FFT of all measurements
> - For each frequency bin perform the SHT to the complex HRTFs,
>   up to maximum order that Q directions permit (and their arrangement:
>   for equiangular measurement grids the order is N<=4*Q^2).

The ^2 probably should be on N, not Q.

>   You end up with (N+1)^2 coefficients per bin per ear.
> - Take the IFFT for each of the (N+1)^2 coefficients.
>   You end up with 2x(N+1)^2 FIR filters that can be used
>   to binauralize your HOA recordings directly.
> - To binauralize, convolve each HOA signal with the respective
>   SH coefficient filter of the HRTF, for each ear, and sum the
>   outputs per ear.

To me it looks like the FFT/IFFT can be factored out. Both FFT and SHT
are linear transforms, so their order can be swapped. With H (t,q) the
HRIR in direction q:

   IFFT (SHT (FFT (H (t,q)))) = IFFT (FFT (SHT (H (t,q)))) = SHT (H (t,q))

Now if Q is a set of more or less uniformly distributed directions,
the coefficients of a systematic decoder will be very near to just
the SH evaluated in the directions Q. So summing the convolution
of the decoder outputs with the HRIR is equivalent to the SHT on
the HRIR.

In other words, this method is just the same as the 'decoding to
virtual speakers' one, with Q the set of speaker directions and
using a systematic decoder.

Ciao,

--
FA