Hi Jorn,

Yes, you’re right. To summarize the process:

- Measure the HRIRs at Q directions around the listener
- Take the FFT of all measurements
- For each frequency bin perform the SHT to the complex HRTFs, up to maximum
order that Q directions permit (and their arrangement: for equiangular
measurement grids the order is N<=4*Q^2). You end up with (N+1)^2 coefficients
per bin per ear
- Take the IFFT for each of the (N+1)^2 coefficients. You end up with 2x(N+1)^2
FIR filters that can be used to binauralize your HOA recordings directly.
- To binauralize, convolve each HOA signal with the respective SH coefficient
filter of the HRTF, for each ear, and sum the outputs per ear.

Thinking about it now, it should be very easy to set-up a HOA2binaural
conversion like that in REAPER, after getting the filters, by using the ambiX
plugins, and setting the decoder matrix to a unity matrix, then convolving the
outputs with the FIR filters using the multichannel convolver plugin.

If you would like to experiment, I’ll be happy to process some HRTFs and send
you the filters.

There are various papers on expansion of HRTFs to SHs, Duraiswami, Dylan
Menzies, Brungart, Abhayapala, Evans, are some of the names that spring to
mind. It is a very convenient way of interpolating HRTFs too at any direction,
so  two birds with one stone..

About the inter-aural time delay, the complex HRTFs should include that
automatically, since they are measured at the ears, “off-centre” for the
measuring setup. You can also do it however by the common factorization of
splitting the HRTFs into a (directional) inter-aural time difference and a
minimum phase filter, expand the minimum phase HRTFs, and then introduce the
inter-aural time difference afterwards.

About inter-aural time delay and frequency dependence, I think it has been
shown that for most practical purposes replacing it with a
frequency-independent one does not affect much. You can also express the ITD on
SHs, it is a very convenient representation of it, since it really approximates
a slightly elongated dipole on the interaural axis, and hence only the first
2-3 orders are enough to describe it well.

Regards,
Archontis

On 25 Feb 2016, at 22:48, Jörn Nettingsmeier