>> So what is the benefit then of adding a decoding stage in the middle?

> The advantage of having an explicit decoder stage is that you
> can tweak the decoder for optimum results. For example it can
> be dual-band [1], or have some front preference, etc.

I see. I find that more a matter of preference though than a benefit, or
whatever one finds more intuitive! I tend to think of these operations not on
the decoder stage but before that. I mean it is possible to smooth, apply rE
weighting, warp or modulate the HOA signals on the stage before decoding or
binauralization. But I can see how it can be useful to think of it as a
decoding operation.

One case I can think of when it is really necessary is when one needs to
auralize binaurally the effect of a certain decoder, e.g. due to non-uniform
arrangement of virtual loudspeakers, compared to an ideal case..

BR,
Archontis