Le 16/09/2018 à 05:45, Eero Aro a écrit :

Ralf R Radermacher wrote:

Methinks their marketing department know quite well what they're doing. I could come up with a dozen things they could have done better or differently with their other portable recorders. Still, they're selling like hot cakes. There's something like a sweet spot for pricing if you're targeting the non-pro consumer market.

I for one can't wait to spend 350 USD on the H3 but I'd think twice at 450. Seriously, how many people care about numerical specs, apart from a handful of freaks on this list?

Ralf

Exactly my thoughts as well. Thank you Ralf for saving me for the need to
write it.

I cut my hairs yesterday, but let me fly my freak flag high.

I care for decent and honest gear that I can afford and use without turning myself into a fake professional. It's not because I'm an hobbyist that I don't care about numbers; I was lucky enough to get some education, so I want to use my brain and not only my small wallet.

I bought a Twirling720 Lite for less than $200 and it's basically a toy; its only value (to me) is that I can hack into it (after some reverse engineering and a bit of programming), hoping that I can make it into a usable microphone. But I probably won't, because I don't know how to calibrate a microphone. I need someone to do it for me, and it's ok, but I also like to consider that I could do it myself; this quality is part of the value. It seems that an Ambisonics microphone is like a piano; tuning it is part of the deal. It could be that non-calibrated and/or MEM-based "solutions" can work just fine for many years, but I'm a freak...

My options to get a non-MEMs Ambisonics microphone are: Tetramic, RØDE NT-SF1, Ambeo, Brahma, Twirling720, Zoom H3, I like the self-contained "products" that don't require to carry and operate a bulky external (and expensive) recorder with XLR connectors and wires, like the Brahma, the Twirling720 and the Zoom H3.

I always read that calibrating an Ambisonics microphone is precisely what makes it Ambisonics. So why, oh why, because there's now a VR market, it would no longer be the case?