In the Cape they use them as fire-breaks. It works, I saw it there
often: the fire hits the eucalyptus belt, and stops. Maybe it's a
different kind, I don't know the full name. They smell the same as
eucalyptus oil though.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

>saw on discovery channel about a rather large fire a few years ago,
>they covered the whole city with eucalyptis, burned real pretty, the
>whole city.
>
>John Harris wrote:
>
>> >Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:29:35 -0300
>>  > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> >Subject: Re: fuel seed that needs no refining
>> >
>>can eucalyptus oil easily be pressed, i know it's full of oil, would it
>> >make a good fuel?
>>
>>Most Eucalyptus is distilled or solvent extracted.
>>Can't really answer about the seeds all the euc. extraction I have been
>>involved in is from the leaves and most have very low seed bearing rates.
>>Wet percentage of oil in Euc. leaves runs at about 1 to 5% W/W so I don,t
>>see it as being an attractive fuel option. Work is currently underway in
>>Western Australia for the extraction of oil for more lucrative markets and
>>using the left over leaf matter and stem material for gasification and
>>production of activated charcoal.
>>Have a look at    www.mallee.com/eucoil.html
>>Regards
>>John