i suppose it works because it pulls the fire up to the tops keeping the fire away from the stuff that burns near the ground and causes it to spread.  as long as the ground is kept mowed near them they would work ok, but they probably work better as a windbreak to prevent the fire from spreading really fast, a la big wall.

Keith Addison wrote:

In the Cape they use them as fire-breaks. It works, I saw it there
often: the fire hits the eucalyptus belt, and stops. Maybe it's a
different kind, I don't know the full name. They smell the same as
eucalyptus oil though.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects