>Message: 9
>   Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:04:48 -0700
>   From: "stephen lakios" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: heavy truck electric drive

>Is this news? Boats, ships,power plants and trains went over to
diesel-electric decades ago.Will the electric >drive eliminate the
transmissions, transfer gear boxes, and clucth packs? If so,it would save
money, >weight,fuel,and the enviroment.Not to mention manufacturing costs,
and the Energy to produce them. I would >enjoy seeing this happen. Stephen

Had thought one of the problems of using  D-E systems on trucks was an
increase in weight rather than a saving. which is more of an advantage on a
rail engine where the payload is not on the drive wheels.
I have been working for some years on constant speed gearboxes and although
undoubtably biased in this direction still believe there is value in this
approach while using engines that must use a drivetrain. Unfortunatly just
about every invention or innovation along this line (and the patents number
thousands) either lack efficiency or the costs are too great.
The Quasiturbine looks like it could be an ideal wheel motor and do away
with all this other garbage we carry round. Guess its got some way to go
before it challenges the IC but it sure looks good to me.

regards
John Harris
Dalwallinu
Australia