j johnny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>i agree with keith, the american farmer and i suppose
>farmers all over the world have become so proficient
>at producing commodities that we cant get rid of them.
>why do you think the american farmers are crying about
>low prices so much, its because there is more of the
>stuff laying around than we can consume. graineries
>and storage facilities all over the nation are full
>and there are mountains of corn and other grains
>outside going to waste that we could be running
>through our vehicles and other machinery. there is
>less land in production now than there was 30 years
>ago and we still have a surplus.

Hi Li'l Johnny

Thankyou! Yep, and also yep. It's often been said that the real
problem of agriculture is overproduction. The corn and grain
mountains and other surplus mountains aren't confined to the US, all
the "developed" countries have them, and that has far more to do with
a rigged economic system than with their "efficiency". To be a bit
simplistic about it, the current "solution" to overproduction is
concentration through livestock production. That makes sense, but the
current, er, system is hopelessly inefficient and wasteful, with very
high externalised costs. There are better ways. Integrated biofuels
production is a better way. If the focus was turned round and placed
firmly at on-farm and local-community level rather than in ADM's
boardroom, it would also do a great deal to help the other issue,
that of economics, the real problem of which isn't how to achieve
greater growth and top-level profitability but how to achieve more
equitable distribution.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever