Keith Addison wrote:

> MH wrote:
>
> The Lupo caught my attention.

I wish it'd catch everybody's:
> ME  TOO!!!
"A standard production-model German Volkswagen Lupo 3L TDi diesel
achieved an average of 118 mpg on a recent round-the-world trip. The
Lupo also broke the round-Britain economy record, previously held by
a standard Daihatsu Charade diesel at 103 mpg. Volkswagen engineers
are working on a super-economical motor that could go 300 miles on
only one gallon of fuel."

> That could exceed the allusive 200 MPG carburetor on home-brew.

And no multi-billion-dollar PNGV handouts either. Japan isn't far behind,
also no handouts. And the Big 3 in the US? Can't even make it to 30mpg:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   I've had a few cars over the years that have gotten around 40 mpg ÷
Fiat 850 Spyder,  Honda Civic,  Chevy Sprint, Ford Festiva
and my Geo Metro annual average now 46 mpg.  I was real disgusted to learn the
Chevy Metro mpg dropped to, per DOE-EPA, 36-40 because GM discontinued the 3
cyl engine.
   After last years increasing fuel prices and ongoing unemployment used
economy car popularity,
seems to me, accelerates.
   I wish fuel economy - efficiency would increase but that would cut into the
revenues of
BIG business, auto, oil, coal, steel, rubber, government, etc. during a time of
increased united
states/federal government budget deficits while unemployed retraining -
education is on the rise.
   Anyway, I'm happy to hear Japan & VW leads the way and hope European Lupo
trends upward.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM