Motie,

This is a regulatory matter not a court of law.
Innocent till proven guilty only applies in court
matters and seldom in day to day business matters. As
far as I know no charges are pending and YBD has only
been warned that he is producing biodiesel without the
proper permits. He applied for the proper permits
alleging his product was the same as that which is
produced by NBB members who must agree to a quality
control progam and post a $100,000 bond that is
forfeit if they fail to live up to this assurance of
quality. The producer in question could not afford the
bond and felt that the contract required by the NBB
was too burdensome in other ways and yet wished to use
the NBB assurance of quality to get his permit from
the EPA. His permit was denied because he had no proof
that his product is in fact identical to the NBB
sanctioned biodiesel as far as pollutant emmisions are
concerned.

He has not been charged nor is he being prosecuted. If
he decides to continue producing and SELLING biodiesel
he will most likely be charged with commercial
production of biodiesel without the required permits.

At that point the burden of proof will lie with the
EPA once a court action commences. I doubt they will
have a diffcult time proving up thier case as all they
would need to do is prove that there was prodcution
and sale of a fuel product without the required
permits and that has already been admitted. They could
have charged him and did not choosing instead to
attempt to lay out the requiments he would have to
meet in order to receive a permit from the EPA to
produce biodiesel. All in all I think they were pretty
gental and understanding considering that they could
have charged him and levied fines that would have run
into the millions of dollars. The EPA does not seem to
want to keep the small producer out of the biodiesl
business...thay just need to fulfil thier mandate of
not allowing fuel production without a permit and have
requirments that are not practical for such a small
scale production facility.

I also often take a manufacturers assurance that thier
product is safe. Usually this is due to the fact that
I know independent tests have been conducted and a
quality assurance program is in place. I suppose that

I don't know how a small unbonded biodiesel producer
would handle a customer complaint. I doubt they could
aford to replace even one damaged engine if they
inadvertantly distributed a bad batch given the low
volumes and thin profit margins of a 40 gal per day
production. And yet if one is not in compliance with
the law I suppose one would have no choice since the
potential for coercion is huge in that situation.(Give
me a new engine or I'll turn you in)
I doubt that any consumer complained in this
particular case...more than likely the denial of his
permit triggered the warning once the EPA discovered
that he had for some time been producing fuel from an
unpermitted facility. It is not a good idea to apply
for the permits less than six months before you might
need them and cerainly an even worse idea to produce
and sell fuel without the required permits.

In my opinion this is just a backyard producer that
got in over his head when he decided to go COMMERCIAL
without doing enough research to know what to expect
might happen as a result.I feel sympathy for him but
until he stops blaming the EPA and accepts primary
responsability for his predicament little can be done
to help him out.

Ironically I think that several simple solutions exist
that would probably allow him to keep making and
selling his product and might even net him more profit
per gallon than he was making previously.

Oh well...

My offer to help him still stands.

Dana