Difference in areas, we only get 18 in. of rain, so it isn't a big
problem here and what they were trying to call a wet land on our one
place didn't have enough to grow  the trees we planted.  The trees that
did grow are about two foot high after about ten years or so.

Harmon Seaver wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 10:19:13PM -0800, Richard Morgan wrote:
>
>>Cattails-  A person would have to make a wet land farm to raise cattail,
>> any natural cattail is a marker for a wet land and can't be farmed over
>>or drove over with equipment and I suppose if you made a wet land they
>>would probably shut it down- just because.--- that will be in the
>>USDA,FSA, soil conservation service regulations.
>>

>   I guess you've never seen a rice farm down in Louisiana, eh? Or any of the
> wild-rice farms in MN or
>WI? Or for that matter any of the cattail study areas where they grow cattails
>and harvest them purely to
>investigate the commercial farming of cattails and other wetland species?
>Wisconsin, at least, is also
>currently changing wetland laws to make it easier for landowners to improve
>their wetlands -- not
>"improve" with buildings or roads, but to increase their viability as
>wetlands. Growing paddies of cattails,
>rice, or anything else, is clearly agriculture, and the laws against wetland
>destruction (which I sincerely
>believe should be *most* rigidly enforced) don't apply.
>   You also are apparantly not aware that cattails are considered by wetland
> bioligists to be invasive
>nuisance plants in many circumstances, and are then eradicated if possible.

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM