On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 09:52:47PM -0600, MH wrote:
> "The danger to wetlands would come from dryness as well as heat.
> W. Carter Johnson, professor of ecology at South Dakota State University,
> found that if temperatures increase 3.6¡F to 7¡F, precipitation
> would have to increase 10 to 25 percent to maintain the current status
> of wetlands. [32] But if increases in precipitation come in winter alone
> or in severe downpours, soils may dry anyway. Some computer projections
> show a loss of 50 percent or more in summer soil moisture.
> Johnson expects wetlands could be choked with cattails, which would reduce
> the habitat quality and number of ducks. Many wetlands might be lost
> completely."
> from - Minnesota's Wetlands and Prairies
> http://www.me3.org/issues/climate/withfire2002-06.html

   Hot damn! Cattails galore! Of course, that fellow's well considered opinion
couldn't forsee the fantastic
fortune awaiting the lowly cattail, the biofuel dream crop! It ain't that those
nasty cattails are going to
wipeout the "native wetland" (hmm, aren't they also saying that about that
other northamerican native grass
"reed canary grass" ??? What a sick joke!
   And if you can't figure out how to harvest cattail commercially, I guess you
better not get into the
commercial rice business, eh?

--
Harmon Seaver