Thankyou Kirk, that's just what we needed. That gives us a clear
comparison between sincere doubt and mere denial. There's more to
denial (or less), or surely the deniers would also see the
precautionary principle as proper and prudent, as you do. But I've
never seen them doing that - instead they usually want their "doubts"
to serve as a reason (?) to stop all further investigation, which
defies all logic. The debating style, so to speak, is usually pretty
much the same. They claim to invite open discussion but what you get
is a choice between capitulation and revilement. If you reject that
then they usually say you're attacking them for their views. It's
either benighted or less than forthright, IMO. Whatever, it's not
sincere doubt. Questioners, doubters, sceptics, are vital to crucial
issues such as these, deniers - naysayers - contribute nothing but
confusion and discord. Lomborg is a good example - "The Sceptical
Environmentalist" indeed. He's not a sceptic, he's a spin merchant.

Well, I've said it before, I'm still a doubter, I think you have to
be, the court's still out - in fact the jury hasn't even left the
room yet, the case is still being presented, with quite some distance
to go. I do accept ozone layer damage and CFC's role, though I'm sure
there's more to come. I also accept climate change, and human cause,
I'm persuaded by the case for global warming but not yet convinced.
There's certainly global warming but it's not yet certain what the
outcome will be - probably a lot more global warming. What I'm
completely convinced by is the case for the precautionary principle,
now long overdue, IMO. Should have been 10 years ago, at least. The
Kyoto Protocol is better than nothing, but it certainly isn't due
precaution. It's a start.

Regards

Keith

Free $5 Love Reading