  From: Hakan Falk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 10:38 AM
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] Back Online

  Only in America!!!

  I was not aware of that US made pallets of hardwood and did not think that
  it could ever be a stupid luxury consumption like this. I can see reason
  for some pallets to be made of hardwood, but they should be guarded and
  reused. But this irresponsible behavior cannot be excused. Six pallets of
  hardwood per American in land fills, give me a break!

  I am of the opinion that it is almost a sin to use hardwood for pallets in
  the first place. How can you use types of trees that take 50 to 100 years
  to mature for purposes like this. Hardwood is also very stupid to put in
  landfills, because of the long time it takes to disintegrate. If you
really
  need to waste hardwood, effective burning is probably the best. Compared
  the pallets we mostly use in Europe, made of pine tree, hardwood take 4-8
  times longer to mature. Even the fast growing teak, developed mainly in
  central and south America, takes at least 2-4 the time to mature as pine
  trees and it is questionable if it is still hardwood. The fast growing
teak
  is softer, but still have the natural defense against humidity and
insects.

  Hardwood is mostly a tropical or sub tropical tree and how can US use this
  for pallets and at the same time be upset about the deforestation of the
  remaining oxygen suppliers of the world. The hardwood of Europe was by
  tradition the property of the Kings, wherever it was rooted, because of
its
  value for building ships and as structural building material. In this case
  oak was a strategic defense material. Oak used as structure for buildings,
  was inherited and reused for new buildings. The value of oak was almost
  comparable to gold a few hundred years ago.

  Hakan

  At 07:25 AM 11/24/2002 -0800, you wrote:

  >Keith Addison wrote:
  >
  > > Re wasted wood, I picked this up somewhere or other, for the US, not
  > > Canada: "In 1999, for instance, 7.5 million tons of wooden pallets -
  > > platforms associated with shipping - went into the solid waste
  > > stream, accounting for over 60 percent of all wood waste." And:
  > > "There are an estimated 6 hardwood palletts in landfill for every
  > > resident of the US."
  > >

  ><snip>
  >
  >     Indeed!  I used to collect hardwood pallets, cut them up and burn
  >them.  Over the course of the "average" winter, my family burned 8 tons
  >of wood like this.  We hadn't paid for heat in years!  Making the leap
  >back into fossil fueled residential heating was a hard decision for me.
  >I like the automaticity of our natural gas boiler, but we haven't
  >received a bill yet . . .
  >

  > > I just posted this somewhere else:
  > >
  > > "... the United States is now far from being a sustainable society,
  > > and in many respects is further away than it was at the time of the
  > > Earth Summit in 1992. Unlike many other developed countries, the
  > > United States has not used a strategic process to move the country
  > > toward a sustainable future and has not educated the American people
  > > about the opportunities and challenges of sustainable development."
  >
  ><snip>
  >
  >     I've been lamenting about this for at least 30 years.  That's one of
  >the reasons I'm here.
  >
  >robert luis rabello

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

--- End forwarded message ---