Hi Robert, James and all

>    Has anyone experimented with ethanol using oversized injectors on a
>computer controlled multi port fuel injection engine?

Have you seen these?

How to modify an injection system: It's Toyota-specific, but applies
to most electronic fuel injection systems.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBySubject/EFImods.html

How To Modify Your Car To Run On Alcohol Fuel: "Guidelines for
converting gasoline engines (With Specific Instructions for
Air-Cooled Volkswagens)" by Roger Lippman, April 1982 -- Five-chapter
online book:
http://terrasol.home.igc.org/alky/alky.htm

How To Adapt Your Automobile Engine For Ethyl Alcohol Use -- Mother
Earth Alcohol Fuel Manual. Biofuels Library
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me2.html

More info in Mother Earth Alcohol Fuel and The Manual for the Home
and Farm Production of Alcohol Fuel in the Biofuels Library
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html

>James Slayden wrote:
>
> > Robert,
> >
> > A good many of the Ford Rangers are already set up as FFV's, might want to
> > check to see if you model is one.  Ususlly there is a little plack on the
> > gate that has a highway and a greenleaf.  But I would check with a model
> > database online to verify for sure. If it is an FFV it will allow you to
> > run E-85, ie. 85% ethanol - 15% gas.  Then you could blend your own.
> >
> > James Slayden
> >

>    No, mine isn't an FFV.  The turbo Mustang guys frequently use larger
>injectors and high output fuel pumps for more power on gasoline, and I
>understand that those items are essentially a "bolt on" for my Ranger.
>(Though I'd need 2 fuel pumps--one for gasoline, and the other for ethanol.)
>Ethanol requires an injector orifice around 30% larger than gasoline, so the
>bigger injectors should work.  Fuel shut off valves are commercially
>available, so I could switch between ethanol and gasoline from inside the
>vehicle, just as I used to do when running propane on a previous car.
>
>    The trouble with E 85 is that the ethanol must be anhydrous.  I'd like to
>try 100 proof ethanol with my high pressure injectors, but I'm not sure the
>engine will run, and I worry about bending a connecting rod in a hydraulic
>condition where the water does not vaporize.  The last engine I built suffered
>this fate after I checked my water injection and accidentally squirted a bit
>of water into a cylinder.
>
>    My wife has not let me hear the end of that one!
>
>    So, I'm probably better off with the 160 proof variety.
>
>    As far as the "distill while you drive" idea is concerned, I calculated
>the output after a good night's sleep and it looks like my total commute would
>yield about 1 liter of ethanol, or about 1 / 8 of what I'd need to get back
>and forth from work!
>
>    I guess that's why nobody is doing this. . .

Well, that's a 12.5% improvement in something or other, though I
can't quite see what exactly. Less energy waste anyway, and less
energy used in distilling, should be worth trying. It's an elegant
thought.

regards

Keith