Hi Hakan

>Keith,
>
>First I want to tell you that any loss of power in todays vehicles in my
>mind does very little change. I have a licence to drive anything on wheels
>and the practical experiences that it implies. During my life time I have
>been driving around 3,000,000 km in almost any vehicles that you can
>imagine.

Me too, anything from a bulldozer to a Dassault Mirage, two wheels,
four, as many as you like or none at all. Okay, I only flew a Mirage
once. :-)

Not, however, only one wheel. Little Japanese kids learn to ride
unicycles, it's quite a common sight to see them spinning round the
place on their one-wheelers, I'm filled with envy. They look
incredibly cool. (I know when I'm beaten.)

>With top speed limits between 55 to 85 miles per hour, most of
>current automobiles capacity has other values than pure and fast
>transportation. It is only in Germany that you have no speed limit and this
>is on a very low percentage of their roads.
>
>To talk about power loss in modern automobiles of around 10% does not
>really relate to any loss of efficiency in transportation. Talking about
>quantity used, have a direct relation to fuel produced. Therefore I am
>thinking more in fuel consumption than in power losses.

You're right about the power loss, doesn't matter. Anyway, you still
have the loss in fuel consumption, of up to 13%. Plus the 20% alcohol
used in biodiesel (unless you recover, leaving average 13%), and the
savings of being able to use 160-proof ethanol. I don't know how it
compares, but these factors are not accounted for in the usual
comparisons.

>At 11:49 PM 12/7/2002 +0900, you wrote:
> >Hi Hakan

> > >larger number of
>lubrication field.

>When I say byproducts, it is not only the stockfeed - DDG and seedcake. It
>is also the lubricant applications
>http://www.greenoil-online.com/hydraulc.html
>  samples as Steve gave link to.
>

> > >http://www.carbohydrateeconomy.org/ceic/library/admin/uploadedfiles/H
> > >ow_Much_Energy_Does_it_Take_to_Make_a_Gallon_.html
> > >

> > >carefully and it says about Btu per gallon,
> > >
> > >Corn based, Industry average : net energy gain = (energy ethanol) 81,400 +
> > >(energy undefined co-products) 27,579 - (used energy) 81,090 = 30,589 (38%
> > >gain)
> > >
> > >Corn based, Industry best : net energy gain = (energy ethanol) 81,400 +
> > >(energy undefined co-products) 36,261 - (used energy) 57,504 =
>62,857 (109%
> > >gain)
> > >
> > >Corn based, State of the Art Industry : net energy gain = (energy ethanol)
> > >81,400 + (energy undefined co-products) 36,261 - (used energy) 47,948 =
> > >62,857 (151% gain)
> > >
> > >Cellulose based,  Industry : net energy gain = (energy ethanol) 81,400 +
> > >(energy undefined co-products) 115,400 - (used energy) 76,093 = 122,407
> > >(162% gain)
> > >
> > >What are the co-products? Do they go in the tank? How do you use Gluten
> > >meal, Protein feed and Carbon dioxide in the tank?
> >
> >Why would you need to? You can, if you like, feed it (with great gain
> >on the original product) to livestock, one possible co-product being
> >methane, which indeed you can put in the tank.
>
>When I said this I referred to (energy undefined co-products) which are the
>ones used to boost the energy numbers for ethanol. If we go over to ethanol
>and biodiesel, the surplus for animal food might be too big to have any
>value. I do not have numbers on this, have you seen any?

Others also think that might be a problem. There are already huge
surpluses. Surplus is the true problem of agriculture, not shortage.
But it is all obscured behind industrialized production systems and
centralized planning such as the CAP, and highly inequitable "free
trade" arrangements. However, in localized production, there are
other options. Much as I say that biofuels crop production on a
sustainable integrated farm need not require any exclusive land use,
such "excesses" or "wastes" or by-products are easily absorbed
without loss. You're not so much dependant on market swings.
Localization is the best approach to gluts and dearths.

Case - Europe is apparently experiencing a glut in glycerine as a
result of biodiesel production there. (Yet this doesn't seem to have
affected buying prices, as gluts of soy and corn don't seem to affect
virgin oil prices in the US - but I'm sure it would affect selling
prices for small producers.) A local producer has quite a few options
with by-product glycerine.

> > >Read for Biodiesel that for 1 unit energy used it goes 3.2 units in the
> > tank.
> >
> >"For every 1 BTU of liquid fuel used to produce ethanol, there is a
> >6.34 BTU gain." ("The Energy Balance of Corn Ethanol: An Update",
> >Shapouri and Duffield, 2002)
>
>"liquid fuel", when I read all of those references about energy balances,
>they specify things in different way. If you use bagasse or non-liquid
>fuels, we end up approx. with what they say in,
>http://www.carbohydrateeconomy.org/ceic/library/admin/uploadedfiles/H
>ow_Much_Energy_Does_it_Take_to_Make_a_Gallon_.html
>
>The differences are in recuperation systems and growing. It is logical that
>it is in that way and in my view it does not disqualify ethanol in any way.
>

> >Biodiesel's co-products do not go in the tank. Some can be used for
> >process heat, the others have other uses not related to energy.
> >
> >There's not much to choose between the overall energy efficiency of
> >biodiesel and of ethanol, IMO, even though distillation considered by
> >itself may be more energy-intensive than transesterification.
> >
> > >If you do not mind, I will keep my evaluation for this.
> >
> >I don't think it's based on very much difference.

> > >Yes, bagasse can be used as heating source or as feedstock, this is the
> > >same as they do for fossil fuel. Since we have not done comparable
> > >evaluation for Biodiesel, the byproducts energy values are missing.  I
> > >suspect that this and the less use of fertilizers, pesticides, irrigation,
> > >more manual labor etc. are the reasons why Ethanol from sugar cane are a
> > >definite positive energy producer in Brazil.
> >
> >Ethanol is also a definite positive energy producer with corn in the
> >US. Sugar doesn't necessarily use any less fossil-fuel inputs than
> >corn does, or sugar beet - or at least not via industrialized
> >production. They can all do very well or better without any of those
> >inputs when grown sustainably. (Not just theory, according widespread
> >practical results in the field.)
>
>Agree, it is mostly the relation between the fermented volume and alcohol
>content. With rich sugar content, you end up at 36-proof and with super
>bacteria maximum is 48-proof. Fermentation goes on until bacteria dies
>because of starvation or too much alcohol, in the latter case you will end
>up with unused sugar anyway. The perfect raw material have just enough
>sugar for maximum alcohol and less energy to heat up excess liquid. Sugar
>rich base can be diluted, but if you miss sugar you are likely using heat
>to concentrate.
>

> >On the other hand, biodiesel co-products can also be used for process
> >heat (including glycerine).
>
>yes

>marketable products.
> > oil. We
> > of raw

>This is a very important point that can make corn very valuable. I do not
>understand that they do not use it that way.

Corporate management is a collection of pyramids with no causeways
between them - one for biodiesel, one for ethanol... Proposing such
causeways threatens management's territories. Another constraint that
vanishes with small-scale enterprises.

> > >See previous point.

> > >See Energy for production.

>fuel/technology will
>disagree with
> > >
> > >I suppose that you agree with this.
> >
> >"End use efficiency for fuel/technology         less    more    more"
> >
> >No, I see little difference.
>
>I see the same difference that we have between gasoline/diesel, plus a
>smaller rise in difference depending on what we discuss above.

> > >Do not forget that I am talking about quantities of fuel here. All
> > >testimonies and technical adjustments point to more quantity use with
> > >replacement of gasoline with ethanol and unchanged quantities with
> > >replacements of diesel.
> >
> >They're wrong - or at least only partly right. See below: "A loss of
> >engine power...
>
>Quantity used, I do not see power loss as determine factor. In my mind it
>is not, since it will not be compensated until you make new cars only for
>ethanol or biodiesel and then we loose the reference again. I think that we
>might have some different view angles on this and the differences between
>us is more that we are looking at from different points, than that we have
>different opinions. I think that I have to make an explanatory footnote to
>clear this up. Which make our discussion very useful.

The power loss isn't significant, I don't think, you're quite right.
But the lost economy is.

>from the same
>combine both

> > >The subject is Biofuel Business and I have full understanding of what you
> > >say about "best" technology. The question is what would be the best bio
> > >fuel business?
> >
> >My reservations still hold: "It depends..." For instance, considering
> >the question of corn oil... Agribiz giant (ogre?) Archer Daniels
> >Midland is both "Big Soy" and Big Corn", and big much besides,
> >including Big Ethanol in the US. The ethanol comes from the corn of
> >course. They've been making biodiesel in Europe for some time, but
> >not in the US, and recently announced a pilot study on biodiesel
> >there. It seems these oversized ogres are not too good at synergy and
> >integration. A bit dumb. Are they going to investigate making
> >biodiesel from the oil in the corn they currently make ethanol from?
> >I'd bet not, they'll use soy. So, might it not be a window of
> >opportunity to set up a biodiesel operation in a mainstream US corn
> >ethanol area?
> >
> >I don't know too much about this, I didn't know what happened to the
> >oil in corn ethanol production. Now there's some discussion with a
> >chemical engineer in Brazil about it. He's working with a factory
> >making ethanol from corn and producing 30 thousand liters per month
> >of non-refined corn oil, stored or used as fertilizer in the
> >sugar-cane crop, of all things. So it seems the corn oil is indeed
> >regarded as a waste product from ethanol production. They haven't
> >even thought of using it for process heat. If they did, and made
> >biodiesel from the excess (looks like there'd be an excess), that
> >would rather change the energy efficiency of the corn distillation
> >and the economics of both operations.
>
>My opinion about the business factors is not based on the energy content or
>the technical issues. It is rather social and economic interests that are
>inhabitations for ethanol. See below,
>

> > >Taking costs, energy returns, process, political road blocks
> > >etc. in consideration, I do think that Biodiesel/SVO has some definite
> > >advantages and a window of opportunity. I think that you also
>understand me
> > >very well, since you did not expanded it with producer gas, hydrogen etc..
> > >You are testing my case and I am very grateful for this.

> > >I fully understand this and it is also a different case. Villages must use
> > >the best for local conditions,
> >
> >That's just my problem, I don't think that only applies to villages,
> >I tend to think it applies to everything, certainly everything to do
> >with energy. Bottom up, not top down. There's lots of good reasoning
> >to support this view at the Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR),
> >Sustainable Minnesota, Carbohydrate Economy, New Rules Project
> >websites.
>
>Diesel and diesel engines were developed bottom up in Europe, it is for
>sure not Big oil who promoted it.

Yes, originally developed as a counter to Big Steam.

>Big oil have some very large interests in
>maintaining a balance that fits with the refining process. They are
>benefiting very much from the difference between Europe and US. If you go
>biofuels, this balance is not important any longer, because you can choose
>different sources and engine technologies independently.

Yes, much better, do what fits the situation best rather than the
vested interests.

Best

Keith