I don't really know what I'm talking about, but from a Canadian
perspective I think diesel is widely considered a "dirty" fuel (and it
sounds like the truth of this is what you're researching), but also it's
hard to start when it's minus 20 degrees, which is a real, if
surmountable, problem in this climate   - this second point would also
apply to some areas in the US.

Mike