Bruce,

Funny you should ask. I just asked my local smog guy if he'd check my
Mercedes for smog, and he was worried that diesel emissions would "plug
up his equipment." I plan to call a truck place - I've heard that some
of them may have equipment to test for NOx - most smog stations don't,
apparently you need a 5 gas analyzer.

And you are correct that a catalytic converter or trap oxidizer will
lower emissions - specifically NOx, and that veggie diesel - biodiesel
or straight vegetable oil - won't plug them like dinodiesel
(specifically  the sulfur that's added for lubricity - and which veggie
fuels don't need, being naturally more slippery.)

Mercedes installed trap oxidizers on '85 through '87 diesels, then
removed them, free of charge, when they got plugged. On the '87's (and I
have an '87) they replaced the (removed) trap oxidizer, which had been
in the engine compartment, with an "oxidation catalyst" which was
installed downsteam - before the muffler. I called my local Benz dealer
in Oakland, and they wanted around $200 for one - and I'd think that a
good muffler shop could install one somewhere in the exhaust system on
your Golf.

Good luck and let us know what happens. If I find out more about getting
baseline smog checks on diesel done, I'll let the Biofuels group know.

Craig