Yeah, Tig is great, but most people can't afford one. Personally, I'd
use oxy-propane but thats because I've been using it for years and
have the experience. Besides with TIG you run the risk of possibly
melting the steel along with your brazing alloy which could cause
problems. oxy-propane isn't hot enough to melt steel, oxy -acetylene
is required for that.

But, the easiest option would be to try and use a steel valve or at
least a steel spigot and compression fittings. Then you could weld
straight onto the side of the drum with whatever welding technique you
prefer. Although I wouldn't recommend stick for welding on a 45 gallon
drum, make to many holes in it unless youve got a decent DC welder and
1.6mm rods at about 45 amps

hugh