Hi MM

> >influencing people (which she was VERY good at). So she had some
> >place that she went to up on the hillside somewhere, I'd see her
> >going off there sometimes but never figured just where it was. I'm
> >sure any dog is capable of learning such things.
>
>Apparently, she didn't just learn such a thing.  She *devised* a place for
>herself to go, given that no one seemed to be dictating the rules to her.

Dictate rules to The Beautiful Nibbles?? No way! Yes, you got it
right, she figured it, as usual. Extraordinary beast - I've known and
had a lot of dogs, but Nibbles was all out on her own, and one of the
sweetest creatures I've ever met. We still miss her very much, I
guess we always will.

>Basically, she did *more* than a human is asked to do to make accomodations
>for herself (unless there's something we don't know about her upbringing
>where she was told what to do).

Nobody knows that, but it's a safe guess that whatever she knew she
figured out for herself. It seems she'd been having a rough time so
she ran away from "home". So dig where she chose to run to. There was
a South African woman on Lantau island who ran a restaurant, lots of
great South African food - ie, lots of great MEAT. Dolla finished up
at the restaurant one night and found Nibbles in her van. Never seen
her before, but she couldn't get her out of the van (I've also
encountered that problem with her), so she took her home. Dolla was
into rescuing stray dogs and loving them... Typical Nibbles-type
choice, to get herself adopted by a dog-loving lady with endless
supplies of spare meat. Anyway Nibbles ran away from Dolla too and
adopted the Beach House, not too far away. And thus, eventually, us,
when we moved in there. Dolla would drop by every night after the
restaurant closed to collect "her dog". Nibbles would go with her,
get into the excess steaks, chops and sausages and so on, and be back
at the Beach House an hour later, wearing a particular grin she had,
one of many.

>I think dogs might pretty much do what they're told to do in respect of
>potty activities.  At least it would be worth testing this theory and, if
>it held, installing toilets that dogs could use (i.e.: at floor level), as
>the ones in place are clearly not ones they could easily use, given their
>different body construction.   I'm sure that wealthy folks might be
>inclined to give it a try, maybe making entirely separate bathroom
>accomodations.  I just don't quite understand why this has not been tried.
>Maybe it has.

Maybe. Considering all the lab tests with rats and so on where they
have to pull a lever or something to get food once they've been good
little rats and done what they're supposed to, it shouldn't be too
hard to get a dog to step on a flush lever once it's done. Preferably
into a composting toilet, as Mark suggests.

Check out this amazing movie (top right):

Best