Hi mark,
as far as I know the easy way to go - to put an O
into the CH4 by a catalytic reaction - is not
state of the art. We were talking one time about
that and decied not to follow the theme (also it
seems a little bit dangerous to make it this way).
If you find something new to that theme let me know.
To go the longer way is doable but very elaborate:
reform the methane gas to synthesis gas (CO and
H2) then make the synthesis to methanol. You also
need gas cleaning (sulphur) and stuff.
I have no idea if the other ways to make methanol
are more easier - from wood or as by-product from
making alcohol, ... .

daniel

girl_mark_fire schrieb:
> This is all very interesting to me- I just spent part of last night
> looking for diy methanol info, with no success. My interest was in
> looking for info on turning methane (from a digester, digesting
> glycerine and other waste) into methanol. I now know more about fuel
> methanol (yuck) and no more about making the stuff. But google
> searches for biomethanol turn up that Smithfield Farms hog-waste-to-
> biomethanol-to-biodiesel-elsewhere plan. It was in the news a few
> months ago- and they hadn't at that point decided on where the
> biodiesel itself was going to be produced- and I;m kind of curious
> now about where that project has gone.
> Someone who was a list member turned up a plant that made industrial
> ethanol whose 'waste product' was quantities of methanol of
> questionable purity (contaminated with ethanol)- which the plant
> didn't know what to do with. something to definitely investigate in
> california- we can work with it if it's part ethanol and we're using
> good oil.
> If I remember correctly, I think that making methanol out of wood is
> pretty challenging and energy intensive- you have to heat it with no
> oxygen or something like that. It's pretty different than fermenting
> waste for ethanol production.
>
>  I'm curious about biomethanol from methane, though- is it doable on
> a village (small business?) scale?
>
> mark
>

> In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Icarus Solem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I've been trying to find technical info on the use of ethanol in the
>>biodiesel manufacturing process, with no luck.  I've been
>
> discussing the
>
>>possibility of a small-scale plant that produced both biodiesel and
>>ethanol, using agricultural raw materials (we are lucky in
>
> California -
>
>>lots of raw materials).  It seems that there would have to be an
>
> internal
>
>>production of methanol to feed into biodiesel production- perhaps
>
> not hard
>
>>to do if you are making ethanol at the same time?  Apparently any
>
> woody
>
>>material can be used for methanol production.  I don't know of any
>
> yeast
>
>>that churn out methanol, although there may be some bacteria that
>
> do.  You
>
>>would need some good distillation equipment, in any case.
>>
>>On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Bryan Brah wrote:
>>

>>>Since it is so difficult to make BioDiesel with ethanol, how hard
>>
> would
>
>>>it be to make methanol at home?  I know that methanol is a by-
>>
> product of
>
>>>ethanol distillation of fruits containing high concentrations of
>>
> pectin,
>
>>>is there a way to exploit this fact and make just methanol?
>>>

>>>-BRAH

>>>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>>>
>>>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
> [...]

Mit freundlichen Gr٤en

Daniel West

Zentrum fŸr Sonnenenergie- und
Wasserstoff-Forschung (ZSW)
Regenerative Kraftstoffe und Verfahren (REG)
Center of Solar Energy and Hydrogen Research
Renewable Fuels and Processes

Netzwerk "Regenerative Kraftstoffe" - ReFuelNet

Dipl.-Ing. Daniel West

Industriestr. 6, D-70565 Stuttgart

Tel.: ++49-711-7870-249 / Fax: -200
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.zsw-bw.de
http://www.refuelnet.de

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM