>Andrew,
>
>You have a large number of countries that have the same
>ratios or some even better than Australia,
>
>The Netherlands
>Germany
>Switzerland
>Norway
>Finland
>Denmark
>Sweden
>UK
>etc.
>
>I always wondered why US, with corresponding speed limits,
>have such a high fatality rate. It is not my experiences from
>the US, that they need computers to think for them. I do agree
>with you on seat belts and helmets, but it is some other things
>also. I belive the traffic rules are also to blame and especially
>the overtaking rules, that are not enforced at all. The mix of
>vehicles with the popular SUVs, could also assist. It is clear
>evidence that fatalities has dramatically gone down for normal
>autos, but up for accidents with SUVs involved.
>
>Hakan

Even apart from SUVs, the average size of US cars is probably bigger
than anywhere else, and their accident rates higher than countries
with much smaller average car sizes, and yet there's this ridiculous
idea in the US that small cars are dangerous. It comes as not much of
a surprise that it mostly stems from industry-funded right-wing
"think-tanks" such as the odious Competitive Enterprise Institute,
with whose Sam Kazman Hakan took issue a couple of months back over
his preposterous claims about SUVs.

Much of the resistance to improved fuel economy standards was based
on the idea (?) that more fuel-efficient cars would necessarily be
smaller, leading to thousands of extra traffic deaths - *these
environmentalist whackos are out to kill us all!!!*

Yeah, right. Or maybe it's just that certain powerful interests don't
want Americans to use less fuel...

I thought at first the whole idea might be because US cars are
generally big and the little guys would stand less chance in a
collision with a bigger car, and that seems to be the case when the
big ones are SUVs. But: "Fact: In 1997, latest-available government
data, 56% of small-car fatalities involved only small cars: 46% from
single-car crashes, 10% from small cars running into each other. Just
1% of small-car deaths in 1997 involved collisions with midsize and
large SUVs -- 136 out of 12,144 total small-car deaths that year."

46% from single-car crashes - these small cars just up and crash on
you all of sudden without warning, they go mad and hit a tree or
something. Nothing to do with collisions with heavies - they're
INHERENTLY more dangerous. And indeed, that's what's claimed.

Funny, if there were any basis to it at all you'd think the Europeans
and the Japanese might have noticed it by now. Japanese cars (the
ones they don't export) are getting smaller and smaller. I keep
meaning to check it out and haven't yet, but I very much doubt their
accident rates are getting higher and higher accordingly. There are
plenty of high-speed roads here, lots of fast traffic, and lots of
heavy vehicles amidst it all.

More BS, is all.

Here are some links to this stuff (previously posted):

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/43802/article.html
Fuel-Efficient Vehicles: Your Money or Your Life

http://www.serve.com/commonpurpose/news/cafeusatoday.html
Death by the gallon -- CAFE Fuel Efficiency Standards

http://www.cei.org/gencon/027,02353.cfm
CEI.ORG: Competitive Enterprise Institute: Flip-Flopping On Small Car Safety

Best

Keith

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/FGYolB/TM