http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=509&ncid=718&e=6&u=/ap/20030619/ap_on_bi_ge/mcdonald_s_antibiotics

With all the concern as to bio-weapons being voiced over the last
couple of years, I have sometimes thought that, when we write the
history of these times we may have to conclude that we have been
fashioning some of the most deadly bioagents with a worldwide effort
involving millions of workers, by failing to curb our use of
antibiotics as feed for animals.  When SARS first appeared, my first
thought, from the way it seemed to appear and be covered by the press,
was that it was a bioweapon.  But I don't know where it came from.
Perhaps it was simply a natural development and another possibility,
raised in a news story some weeks after the first appearance, is that
it may have arisen as a result of human over-use of anti-biotics.
Dunno.

I don't think we are over-concerned about the development of
bioweapons.  They're hideous, frightening and of legitimate concern,
and I'm very glad to see them more discussed and more attempt being
made to stop their development or use, even if some would argue the
attempts are misdirected.

At the same time, I think we have ignored this other related problem
for far too long of the over-use of anti-biotics as feed for animals.
I've said awhile back in this conference, and repeat here, that it is
one of the most  dangerous, if not *the* most dangerous, environmental
problems on Earth.  It is also one of the most needless problems,
brought on by this bizarre and un-necessary practice.  Haven't there
been posts documenting that there are other affordable animal-raising
practices which can lead to healthy animal growth which do not involve
this lousy anti-biotics-as-feed practice?

MM

McDonald's Curbs Antibiotic Use in Meat
48 minutes ago  Add Business - AP to My Yahoo!

By DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer

CHICAGO - McDonald's Corp. said Thursday it is directing its meat
suppliers worldwide to phase out the routine use of growth-promoting
antibiotics in animals because of concerns that the practice lessens
the drugs' effectiveness in humans.

AP Photo

Related Quotes
TSN
DJIA
NASDAQ
^SPC
 10.80
9179.53
1648.64
994.70
 +0.05
-114.27
-28.50
-15.39

delayed 20 mins - disclaimer
Quote Data provided by Reuters

Missed Tech Tuesday?
You can still check out our exclusive guide to getting a lot of
digital camera for just a little cash - plus more.

McDonald's is the first major fast-food chain to take such a step.

The decision by the world's biggest restaurant company came after a
year of consultations with environmental, science and consumer groups
that had pushed for cutbacks. Those organizations hope the move by one
of the largest meat buyers marks a turning point in the way U.S.
farmers raise animals.

The policy does not prohibit the use of antibiotics to treat sick
livestock. It is aimed instead at antibiotics routinely given to
animals to promote growth.

McDonald's is telling its direct suppliers ÷ those that control all
stages of animal production ÷ to phase out such antibiotics by the end
of 2004. Direct suppliers provide most of McDonald's poultry and 20
percent of its meat.

Direct suppliers will be checked periodically and will be asked to
certify every year that they are complying.

The Oak Brook, Ill.-based company also is offering incentives to
indirect suppliers of beef and pork to follow the policy.

Doctors are increasingly confronting germs that have become
antibiotic-resistant. Many scientists believe that the overuse of
antibiotics in humans and livestock is causing many drugs to lose
their effectiveness by speeding up the rate at which bacteria become
resistant.

The animal drug industry, however, argues that using antibiotics on
farm animals makes food safer.

"As a company committed to social responsibility, we take seriously
our obligation to understand the emerging science of antibiotic
resistance and to work with our suppliers to foster real, tangible
changes in our own supply community and hopefully beyond," said Frank
Muschetto, a McDonald's senior vice president.

"McDonald's is asking producers that supply over 2.5 billion pounds of
chicken, beef and pork annually to take actions that will ultimately
help protect public health."

Environmental and consumer groups praised the company.

"McDonald's new policy demonstrates that reducing antibiotic use is
both feasible and affordable," said Gwen Ruta of Environmental
Defense, which worked with the fast-food chain on the changes.

Tyson Foods, a top direct supplier of poultry to McDonald's, also
worked on the changes.

"Along with McDonald's, we believe it is critical for our company and
our industry to utilize antibiotics in a responsible manner, which
preserves their long-term effectiveness in both human and veterinary
medicine," said Archie Schaffer, a senior vice president of
Springdale, Ark.-based Tyson.

The Coalition for Animal Health, made up of trade groups representing
the animal production, animal feed and animal health products
industries, disputed the reasoning behind the new policy. It said
disease rates have risen in Europe since the use of antibiotics as
growth promoters was sharply lowered there.

The Union for Concerned Scientists said McDonald's should have gone
even further by addressing antibiotics used for disease prevention.

According to the scientists' group, an estimated 70 percent of
antibiotics and related drugs in the United States are given to
healthy pigs, cows and chickens to promote growth and prevent disease.

McDonald's stock fell 49 cents to close at $21.56 on the New York
Stock Exchange (news - web sites).

Last year, under pressure from animal rights groups, McDonald's
started requiring its suppliers to adopt minimum standards for the way
chickens are raised. It set a precedent followed elsewhere in the
industry.

Wireless Video Surveillance
http://us.click.yahoo.com/jWIEhC/90OGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM