Hi MM

Re Sars, you might find this interesting:

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DynamicGenomics.php
Dynamic Genomics
Evidence has emerged that the cocktail of drugs and environmental
hazards to which Gulf War veterans have been exposed all target a
special part of the genome that's responsible for the immune
response. The consequences are startling, and may have far-reaching
relevance for diagnosis and prevention of other chronic diseases. Dr.
Mae-Wan Ho reports.

Re antibiotics...

Antibiotic use

In 1969, a British panel called the Swann Committee recommended that
antibiotics used to treat people or drugs closely related to medical
antibiotics -- which could produce resistant bacteria -- should not
be given to animals.

The World Health Organization reinforced the recommendations in 1997
-- 28 years later.

To take one antibiotic: Farmers have been using an estimated 125
metric tons of the antibiotic avoparcin a year as a growth promoter
in chicken feed. Avoparcin is very similar to vancomycin, a powerful
antibiotic reserved for serious illness in people who are not
responding to other antibiotics.

In Denmark, for instance, in 1994, 24 kilograms of vancomycin were
used for human therapy, whereas 24,000 kg of avoparcin were used in
animal feed.

In 1997 Japanese scientists discovered that Staphylococcus aureus
bacteria had developed resistance to vancomycin, the last line of
defence against this killer disease, which had previously developed
resistance to penicillin, methicillin and cloxacillin.

Deaths have since been reported in several parts of the world when
doctors were unable to treat the disease.

ProMED reported in December 1999 that the use of avoparcin in poultry
feed had finally been discontinued wordwide following pressure by
governments and doctors on the manufacturer, Roche Vitamins.

The February 2000 issue of the University of Florida's Poultry Letter
reported that the poultry industry in Denmark, which had voluntarily
stopped using all antibiotics in feeds in 1998, had found,
nationwide, raising more than 100 million birds a year, that there
had been no major outbreaks of disease, and that although the birds
had eaten more food, they weighed more at slaughter -- and were
cheaper to produce. There was no need for the antibiotics in the
first place.

In 1999, a major British food chain, Marks and Spencer, refused to
purchase chickens which had been grown using antibiotics for growth
promotion.

In December 1999, Britain's biggest producer, Grampian Country Food
Group, which supplies 200 million broiler chickens a year, announced
it would stop using antibiotics as growth promoters, in response to
consumer demands for healthier eating.

Updates

"FDA to Ban 2 Poultry Antibiotics It Says Make Germs Drug-Resistant",
Washington Post, October 27, 2000: The Food and Drug Administration
announced plans yesterday to ban two antibiotics widely used by
poultry farmers to keep chickens and turkeys healthy, saying the
practice increases the danger that humans will become infected with
germs that resist treatment.

"Bayer Refuses To Recall Poultry Antibiotic", Environment News
Service, December 5, 2000: Health, consumer and public interest
groups this week criticized the Bayer Corporation for not voluntarily
recalling an agricultural antibiotic that the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) says might cause antibiotic resistance in humans.
http://ens-news.com/ens/dec2000/2000L-12-05-09.html

"A Prescription for Poultry: Challenging Bayer Corp. to Stop Misusing
Antibiotics", Environmental Defense
Most people know that bacteria from uncooked chicken can cause a
nasty case of food poisoning. What many don't know is that
antibiotics are losing their effectiveness against such illnesses.
Bacteria have developed increasing resistance to fluoroquinolones,
the antibiotics often used to treat severe gastrointestinal
infections. Part of the problem is the unnecessary overuse of these
drugs on farm animals.
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/pubs/Newsletter/2001/Jan/e_antibi.html

"Scientists See Higher Use of Antibiotics on Farms" New York Times,
January 8, 2001
Antibiotics are being used far more heavily in pigs, cows and
chickens than has been revealed by the drug and livestock industries,
a public interest group is saying today, citing as evidence its own
calculations of the drugs' use on farms.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/08/health/08GERM.html

"70% of all antibiotics given to healthy livestock", Environment News
Service, January 9, 2001: Excessive use of antibiotics by meat
producers -- eight times more than in human medicine -- contributes
to an alarming increase in antibiotic resistance, a new study
reveals. Every year in the U.S., 25 million pounds of valuable
antibiotics -- about 70 percent of total U.S. antibiotic production
-- are fed to chickens, pigs, and cows for nontherapeutic purposes
like growth promotion, says the report from the Union of Concerned
Scientists (UCS). This finding -- 50% higher than the livestock
industry's estimate for all animal uses -- is the first transparent
estimate of the quantities of antibiotics used in meat production.
"It puts everyone's health at risk," said Dr Charles Benbrook, an
independent economist and co-author of the report.
http://ens-news.com/ens/jan2001/2001L-01-09-09.html

The Union of Concerned Scientists report "Hogging It: Estimates of
Antimicrobial Abuse in Livestock", executive summary -- also, full
report downloads (pdf), press statement, Antibiotic resistance pages,
Rogue's gallery of foodborne diseases:
http://www.ucsusa.org/food/hogging_exec.html

"Antibiotics on the Farm", The New York Times, January 9, 2001: Most
of these drugs are administered in small doses to farm animals not to
cure sickness but to promote more growth on less feed and to prevent
the infections that come with crowding in feedlots and confinement
systems. [The amount being used] may be as much as 50% higher than it
was in 1985.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/09/opinion/09TUE2.html

"Setback in battle against superbugs" -- Guardian Weekly, April 19-25, 2001
A new drug hailed as a key weapon against drug-resistant "superbugs"
may already be losing its power. Linezolid ("Zyvox") is used to treat
patients with pneumonia and other infections associated with
vancomycin-resistant enterococcus (VRE). In three out of five recent
test cases at the University of Illinois in Chicago the drug has
failed.

"Antibiotic Resistant Genes Traced From Farms To Groundwater" --
Environment News Service, May 1, 2001
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois: Genes resistant to tetracycline, a common
antibiotic, have been found in groundwater as far as a sixth of a
mile downstream from two swine facilities that use antibiotics as
growth promoters. The finding shows the potential for spreading
antibiotic resistance back into the food chain of animals and people,
researchers say. For more than 50 years, U.S. farmers have used
tetracycline and other antibiotics to enhance the growth of livestock.
http://ens.lycos.com/ens/may2001/2001L-05-01-09.html

"Eat Well, Eat Antibiotic-Free: New guide for meat raised without
antibiotics" Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy.
Widespread overuse of antibiotics in raising animals for food has
helped create "superbugs," bacteria resistant to these drugs.
Scientists now link this agricultural use, and meat consumption, to
rising numbers of human infections that are harder to treat because
they respond poorly or not at all to these compromised antibiotics.
Eat Well, Eat Antibiotic-Free provides background on the problem and
tells consumers where to buy meats raised without antibiotics in
their state: from local and national producers, supermarkets, co-ops,
community supported agriculture networks and restaurants.
http://www.iatp.org/foodsec/library/admin/uploadedfiles/Eat_Well_Eat_A
ntibiotic-Free_2.htm

"Health Canada bans swine antibiotic carbadox" -- Reuters, August 13, 2001
Health Canada last week banned the sale of the controversial swine
antibiotic, carbadox, after receiving reports of misuse and
accidental contamination. Carbadox, a veterinary drug that is mixed
into livestock feed, was approved in the 1970s for use in Canada and
the US to promote growth in swine as well as to prevent and treat
dysentery and other conditions. Health Canada said tests showed that
when the by-products of the drug are metabolized, it can cause cancer
in rats. Carbadox is sold by the animal health division of Pfizer Inc.
http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/12000

See IATP Listserv Archives: Message Archive for Antibiotics and the
Food System ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://208.141.36.73/listarchive/index.cfm?list_id=84

"Regulators hide true extent of dangerous drug levels in poultry
products" -- Britain's Soil Association challenges senior officials'
claims that "99% of poultry meat and 97% of eggs are free of
detectable residues." The report, "Too Hard to Swallow -- the truth
about drugs and poultry", says: "Despite repeated assertions by
regulators that nearly all poultry products are free from detectable
residues, figures show clearly that about 20 per cent of chicken meat
and 10 per cent of the eggs tested contain residues of drugs deemed
too dangerous for use in human medicine."
http://www.soilassociation.org.uk/SA/SAWebDoc.nsf/bdedfca988b2db3c8525
6207004f45a9/
c262081be69aded080256a5e005a011f?OpenDocument

"Get Those Antibiotics Out of My Hamburger!", TomPaine.com, September
4, 2001 -- The American Medical Association (AMA) recently added its
authoritative voice to an increasingly global call for an end to the
routine use of antibiotics in agriculture. With the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) unwilling, or unable, to act, our medical
arsenal is rapidly being depleted of one of its chief weapons in the
fight against food-borne illness.
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11423

"Human resistance to antibiotics worries WHO", Reuters, September 12,
2001 -- Humans are building up dangerous levels of resistance to
modern antibiotics that could leave them vulnerable to killer
diseases, the UN World Health Organization said. Farmers who use
antibiotics to fatten up livestock and poultry are aggravating the
problem because microbes on animals build up defenses against the
drugs, then jump across the food chain and attack human immune
systems, WHO said.
http://enn.com/news/wire-stories/2001/09/09122001/reu_44935.asp

"$17 billion spent researching new drugs in the past five years could
be lost just as quickly without global action" -- World Health
Organization, Press Release WHO/39, September 11, 2001
http://www.who.int/inf-pr-2001/en/pr2001-39.html

"Poultry Industry Quietly Cuts Back on Antibiotic Use", NY Times
February 10, 2002 -- The poultry industry has quietly begun to bow to
the demands of public health and consumer groups by greatly reducing
the antibiotics that are fed to healthy chickens. Three companies
which produce a third of the chicken consumed by Americans each year
say they have voluntarily taken most or all of the antibiotics out of
what they feed healthy chickens. But there is no way for the consumer
to know whether one of these companies' chickens has been treated
with antiobiotics. Treating a few sick birds requires treating the
entire flock, and flocks often number more than 30,000. The only way
for consumers to be certain the chickens they buy have not been
treated with antibiotics is to purchase those labeled
antibiotic-free, or organic.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/10/national/10CHIC.html

See Poultry for small farms
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_poultry.html