An other part of my article,

Nuclear energy.
Before we get into a discussion and evaluation of nuclear
energy, I like to make my own position clear on this. I am
against nuclear power. Not because any technical reason,
but because I do not belive that any Nation can be trusted
regarding nuclear weapons. When I say any, I mean any
and without exceptions. This is not because I learned more
about nuclear technology, but because I learned more about
humanity. The only Nation that used nuclear bombs, have
with the DU munition already proven that they could not refrain
from using it in weapon technology again.

The EU tried to do a cost evaluation of different energy sources,
including the social costs of pollution etc. This cost exercise
did not include accident costs since this would be a very elaborate
and almost impossible calculation. A very interesting exercise that
clearly show a very high cost for fossil oil products and nuclear end
up to be a cheap fossil electricity source. Solar, wind and biofuels
also come out as very economical , due to its lower social costs.

We have somewhat more experiences than others of nuclear power
plants. In the beginning of the 1970's, Theodore Rosenthal (co founder
of Energy Saving Now web site) and I had the task to provide and
manage an engineering group who did the piping stress control
calculations on the two last built nuclear power plants in Sweden.

It has been generally regarded as safe, from weapon point of view,
to allow one stage nuclear power plants, although this idea have
been challenged lately. If everybody was using only one stage power
plants, the R/P value for nuclear resources is around 60 years. I can
therefore see the commercial temptations of having two classes of
users of nuclear power plants. The first being the one stage group
and the second the "trusted" multistage group. The second one would
then have an abundance of energy resources in what the first group
consider as a nuclear waste problem. They would even be willing to
pay to get it solved. Using multi stage technology will of course extend
the R/P value with several multiples. If we want to be joking in a cynical
way (black humor), we could see the DU munition as a disposal system,
whereby the first group get back their refined nuclear waste.

Hakan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM