Nathan,

I never thought I'd take the time to do such a thing, but before I go
outside to cut down the rosebushes I've assembled (below) some of the
key points made on this thread between Quinn, Keith, Todd, and me.
Now that the dust is settling, this is what was significant to me in
the exchange:

In an effort to make the point that comprehensive processor plans
would provide an alternative to customized packaged solutions, I made
the point that push-button convenience is what it would take to
attract many people in my country (the United States) to making their
own biodiesel. Although Quinn agreed with my point, she never
expressed a desire to have an automated or ready-made solution for
herself (and neither did I.) In fact, Quinn and I both expressed an
interest in a set of comprehensive processor plans. I offered to help
develop the plans and work up the instructions for them. Todd sort of
offered to work them up (OK, maybe not really, but I can dream, can't
I?), and Keith agreed to post them on JtoF.

All that other stuff? Dust...

Maud
St. Louis, Missouri

**************

Selected Quotations

**************

Keith said:
...there's a whole world between the two extremes of having to be a
rocket scientist and just flipping a switch, "simple and mindless"...

Maud said:
...I really, really do want the design and specifications for a
complete solution that includes an appropriate washing tank...and
also a condenser.
        and
- Standard D-I-Y designs for a complete solution
        - Select the appropriate set of plans
        - Acquire the parts (scavenge some or purchase most at a
variety of sources)
        - Assemble the processor
        and
...a choice of D-I-Y solutions sized by output capacity is ideal. And
it would help to prevent people from making the mistake of purchasing
a packaged solution that produces poor results.
        and
I am seriously offering my services to help develop the documentation
to support the Middle Way solutions.

Quinn said:
...there would be more of us shade-tree fuel makers if there were a
set of plans, yes, down to the nuts & bolts.  And I see that, in
fact, that is happening on the list.  And that is good.

Todd said:
Frankly, I would rather take the time and effort to blueprint and
cost out a micro-system down to the very last washer and grommet,
then put it on the net for free, letting anyone with a high enough IQ
acquire the parts and assemble them on their own...

Keith said:
JtF is quite clear about being much more interested in the
Philippines than in the US or any of the OECD countries, that's our
focus, 3rd World countries.
        and
Nonetheless, if you come up with Middle Way solutions that fit our
criteria I'd be more than happy to give them space at JtF's processor
section.
--
Maud Essen
Essential Services