http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/automotive/2908995/detail.html

My view:

I think there are some AM talk-show hosts and other public-discourse
participants who think that a very large portion of this is due to the
refusal of the U.S. Government to allow domestic production of fuel.

In a way they're right, but not if we are only talking about fossil
fuels.  I think the amount of Oil we could produce here, if we opened
up every spigot possible and got out of the way of every potential
field, would not cover our shortfalls at what most consider a
reasonable price, nor address any potential looming global warming
liabilities.

It would not allow us to stop importing, that I'm aware.  The
estimates I've seen for Alaskan Oil are roughly 1 million barrels per
day, give or take, and those were generous estimates, severely raised
from the estimates made just a decade or less ago at the DOE site.
And to be clear: at some point the Alaskan fields, which would take
some years to develop, would decrease in output, just as happened in
Texas and Oklahoma?

And yet we in the US are using *20 MILLION* barrels of oil per day!
And our production shortfall (the amount we need to import) is between
9 and 11 MILLION BARRELS PER DAY!  And we think that increasing
production in Alaska and a few other fields would really solve that
problem?

What it would do is temporarily help the problem a bit, but it would
not, by any stretch of the imagination, "solve" the problem.

In any event, my vote is to consider this ongoing fuel-pricing concern
as a multi-faceted challenge which will demand of us that we address
it with some real effort, maybe even making a few big mistakes, but I
think it has to be addressed on a number of levels, with a variety of
different technologies and efforts.

If Battery EVs continue to be conspicuously and unfairly excluded from
consideration, based on disingenuous and partly-false claims about
lack of demand and lack of performance of advanced batteries and
what-not, then I don't see why we advocates of real solutions to the
fuel pricing problems should listen at all to talk about drilling in
Alaska.  We're asking that all potentially contributory solutions be
considered fairly, without unnecessarily choosing one to the exclusion
of all others, and one of the most promising partial solutions is
dismissed out of hand with some real dishonesty.

This does not bode well for further dialogue.

I like the bit about us blaming the Chinese for their
"over-consumption". Heh.  I'm sorry but a lot of this really is just
too funny.  I wonder what we've been doing.  Not over-consuming?

At least the Chinese have dozens of thousands of people in
Universities and Laboratories and serious manufacturing plants working
feverishly and sincerely on all manner of alternative-fuel solutions.
In advanced batteries alone, I see more indication of serious Chinese
work than almost anywhere else.

What are we doing to equal that?  We are taking sorely for-granted our
own comparable (smaller number of) people who set the challenges for
themselves, and pretending their patent rights are crap and their
business rights (to work without horrific red tape) are nonsense and
that their inventions don't work or aren't wanted.... where in fact
their products might work for some and might be wanted by some....
whose voices aren't heard because the press and the government turn a
deaf ear.

MM

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511