> [...]
> >
> >>If Battery EVs continue to be conspicuously and unfairly excluded from
> >>consideration, based on disingenuous and partly-false claims about
> >>lack of demand and lack of performance of advanced batteries and
> >>what-not, ....
> >
> >OK, suppose we mandated 1 Million EVs to be built next year.  They would
> >probably have to use lead-acid batteries, as they are the only off-the-shelf
> >technology available.  They are already expensive, but  what will
>happen to the
> >price of lead when GM tries to buy another million tons?  How will
>they get the
> >permission to open new lead mines?  The environmental impact
>statements would
> >take years to get thrrough the courts.  And the lead smelters?
>Worse.  Battery
> >recycling?  We already ship automobile batteries offshore for recycling,
> >because of EPA and OSHA.  What will we do with an extra half
>million tons a year?
> >How much space will they evacuate when a train hits an EV, spilling toxic
> >materials over a quarter mile or so of track?  Or the hydrogen
>explosion, after a
> >traffic accident?  Then there's the infrastructure, more than a million
> >charging stations.  They'll be tearing up half the streets in LA,
>and the folks in
> >Utah and Nevada will protest the building of new coal-burning (or nuclear)
> >electric generating plants there to charge the million cars.  Who
>will pay for
> >the huge cost?  The poor folks in West Virginia won't like being
>taxed to pay
> >for toys for Green geeks on the west coast.  Suppose you are running for
> >congress in West VA.  How are you going to sell your "energy plan"?
>
>You've set up a ridiculously false presentation, a straw man, for what
>you claim is my "energy plan" and then asked me (or demanded of me) to
>defend it. Of course, I won't do that.
>
>I will say that I haven't tried to set up a false or
>dismissive-out-of-hand discussion of drilling for oil, as you have
>tried to do to *some* of the alternatives.
>
>I try to "do unto others" in my argumentation.  I am asking that all
>possible solutions to those challenges facing us be put on the table,
>and not dismissed out of hand even if they appear to have some
>inherent problems, and even if some appear better than others.
>
>I've asked that we realize that we have to adopt multiple solutions
>and that the adoption of one does not mean dismissing the others from
>consideration.
>
>So, if some say we have unfairly impeded drilling for oil or coal or
>gas, then let us hear them.  Personally, I think they have some points
>to make.  Yet, let us also hear accurate statements from them of what
>they can or cannot do for us.  And let us not tolerate their
>continuation of decades of dismissal of all other solutions, as they
>are partly the source of that repugant unfair partly-taxpayer-funded

"Decades" is right. This statement by Edward Teller is quoted in a
book published in 1980:

"No single prescription exists for a solution to the energy problem.
Energy conservation is not enough. Petroleum is not enough. Coal is
not enough. Nuclear energy is not enough. Solar and geothermal energy
are not enough. New ideas and developments will not be enough by
themselves. Only the proper combination of all of these will suffice."

Teller wasn't exactly the first. I remember the guy who first turned
me onto this issue. That was in 1969, and he seemed aghast at my
ignorace - "Where have you been??"

Not crazy about some of Teller's options (but then Teller was
Teller), but this is what we keep saying here: "Only the proper
combination of all of these will suffice." And that's what doesn't
get to happen.

Best

Keith