Did you just plop in there or constantly stir as you were adding the
0.1% ? Use a chopstick and CONSTANTLY stir the mix and see what
happens.
8.5 - 9.0ml sounds like it was tar.

Luc

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> First time titrating and here's what I did:
>
> Mixed 1 gram lye (used a triple beam) with 1000ml of distilled
water to obtain my .1% solution).  I then added 10 ml. of 99%
isopropyl to a small beaker, to this I added 1 ml. of WVO and sat it
in a warm bath until it was clear.  I began adding the lye solution
drop by drop, checking the ph with a electronic meter every half ml.
that went in.  Unfortunately it looks as if my oil is bad (lots of
FFA) as it took between 8.5 and 9.0 ml. to get the ph up to 8.5.  I
did the same step 3 times getting pretty much the same result each
time.  I also used phenol red and it seemed to say the same thing.
This means I would need to add 12 g. of lye for every liter of oil.

> Questions:
>
> Should I even bother using the WVO, is it doomed to fail?
>
> I got the grease from a mexican restaurant, does anyone know what
establishments seem to give the best oil?  I could see mexican
restaurant oil not being good because they fry their chips in them
which must require a bit of heat, more than say making french fries
(at least they are not crispy).

> It seems that when adding the lye solution the ph rises very
slowly until it reaches some point where it rises very quickly with
each additional drop.  That is why I say it took between 8.5 and 9.0
ml., because 8.5 ml. didn't get it there but 9.0 ml made the ph go
to over 9.  Does this all seem right?